Amidst a growing rash of lawsuits across the country that might just dork up the whole concept of internships I made my way up to KinetixHR to talk with their class of student workers over lunch. My friends there said all I had to do was talk about myself, my career choices, and what I had learned along the way. Easy enough. No prep required.
This is what I told them I have learned over the course of my career.
- Values matter
- Do what you love
- Brand yourself
- Have life goals
- The path is not straight
And this was my job hunting advice
- Always be networking, nearly all my career moves came from networking
- Never send a resume until someone asks for it
- Have a well built out LinkedIn profile because…
- The first thing someone is going to do is Google you
- Control as many top 10 SERPs as you can
Great group, had a lot of fun. Afterwards every single one of them reached out connect on LinkedIn. I was forewarned they would do so. And I accepted of course. I don't know if the Kinetix interns are paid or not, I do know the company is working hard to deliver them value over the summer.