So the number one question that I seem to be getting these days is "what are you going to do next?" My three word answer, and I really like three or four words, is "I don't know." What I am really most likely to do is do what I do best, and a better four words, I build Internet companies.
Something that most folks that have not worked with me do not understand from reading FoG is that I am much more analytical in my work than what and how I write here. I am analytically anal.
So the first thing I did when I decided to leave nCrowd was to make a list of the things that I could do next. The final document runs eight pages with career options, the short-term opportunity, upside opportunity, potential obstacles, and how to overcome them. Here's the list of the options that I came up with (in no particular order than how they initially came to me.
- CEO/President/COO position at a early stage Internet where I come in and get it ready for the next stage of investment and run the business.
- Start a company.
- Head of business development/marketing at venture backed technology company.
- Independent consulting on funding/marketing/business development issues facing small early stage Internet companies.
- Consulting on digital strategies at a consulting company or digital agency.
- Marketing position at a mid size company.
- Division President position at a mid size company.
- Buy a small company.
Options are good.
The most interesting thing about this list is that I asked my wife, Abby, to review the document and my thought process. She had four words for me. The same four words I have said to entrepreneurs time and time again. Hundreds of times.
"You need to focus."